Campbells

Campbells

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Camping Mishaps and Memories Part IV

We knew it was going to rain, but we had no idea it would be a downpour. So, we failed to hide some wood from the rain for the next morning. We couldn't find any dry wood. The fire wouldn't start. The kids and I hiked up the mountain, found some massive trees, and somehow found dry wood underneath them. So, we got the fire started...and the scrambled eggs!

We tried Camping Breakfast Burritos for the first and last time. The tortillas here just don't hold up. Still, the stuff falling out of them was good. I brought some dried blueberries from the US this summer. I rehydrated them at home and baked some blueberry muffins for the meal before we left. Mmmm.

The camping and fire-starting pro!

As a fun treat, I brought along some stroopwaffles. We heated them over the fire and let the caramel inside melt. Have you ever had one? I simply can't stock them at home. I'd eat too many. I learned to love them from Shirley, my Singapore friend who later lived in Holland. (They are a Dutch cookie.) Amazingly, they appear here from time to time. 


2 comments:

Tara G. said...

Um, I love the Dutch waffles!! I just found a box here not long ago and posted a picture on my instagram!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I sure am enjoying your camping stories! I think I told you before that we always camped with my "pioneer" grandmother who loved camping so much she spent her honeymoon camped on a riverbank.

Camping is camping is camping, anyway you do it. Now that I am older I appreciate it more and would give anything to be able to do it again with my grandparents.

Our food ALWAYS included fish caught that day because my grandmothers favorite places to camp were alongside a riverbank or bayou. We didn't always have tents and cots . . . I do remember sleeping on the ground under the stars with the men taking turns on watch . . . Guns loaded watching for wild animals and alligators . . .and the occasional stranger passing through . . . I am not exaggerating. :). It was blacker than black at night.

I remember a few times at a state park . . . Tents, cots and a bath house! I loved that! Using nature for bathroom facilities takes skill. :)

I can only imagine how beautiful the stars must be where you are. Where you stayed looked so gorgeous.

Better go for now . . . Thanks for sharing your adventures!

Site Meter